Best Home Blood Pressure Monitor Reviews
Monitoring one’s blood pressure in the privacy and comfort of their home is now possible, thanks to the availability of home blood pressure monitors. More people now check their blood pressure daily to manage their high blood pressure, also known as hypertension, to ensure that their medications are working and potential complications are prevented in time.
Home blood pressure monitoring is not at all difficult to do but people need to choose an efficient monitor to obtain an accurate reading of their blood pressure’s daily and long-term fluctuations which may not always be reflected in a doctor’s occasional readings. The automatic, cuff-style, bicep (upper arm) monitor has been recommended by the American Heart Association. Let’s take a look at some of best monitors in our home blood pressure monitor reviews:
Withings Blood Pressure Monitor Review
This device has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It has a sleek, no nonsense design that can easily be used by anybody. One of its best features is its simplicity.
It has a button for turning the device on and a large coiled cuff that is slipped through the arm to take a reading. Here are some reasons why you may want to consider the Withings monitor:
- Adjusting the strap is easy because of the Velcro in its cuff.
- The device has an arm circumference of nine to 17 inches.
- Charging the device is not necessary because it operates on batteries.
- It can easily be connected to an Android phone or iPhone through Bluetooth.
- The purchase comes with a Withings app that launches automatically.
- Instructions from this app pop up when the device is turned on explaining how to take a measurement accurately.
- It can calculate three readings consecutively on the average.
- The FAQ section is helpful with information on queries such as what systolic and diastolic mean, what blood pressure is, etc.
- The section also has information on how blood pressure can be lowered.
- Its calibration is automatic and it double-checks the reading for accuracy.
Pros and Cons
- It is easy to use.
- An icon flashes “okay” to inform the user whether or not the cuff has been properly applied.
- The standard values provided by the device are the same as those used by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the measurements are based on those taken in doctors’ offices.
- Provides the user with reminders to check the blood pressure.
- Comes with a five year limited warranty.
- Allows the user to email the results of readings.
- It goes through batteries very quickly.
- Some customer reviews found the price expensive for most budgets.
- The software installed has an interface that is still on the beta stage.
- Only one size is available meaning it will be ineffective for a user with an arm circumference less than nine inches or more than 17 inches.
- The device is bulky and can make packing it for travel and/or storage inconvenient.
What Customers Say About It
Most customer reviews found the product effective for use but have difficulty with the software installed. This has translated to an overall rating of only 3.7 stars out of five for the product from Amazon customer reviews. Additionally, several customers who don’t own an iPhone or Android phone found it difficult to use because the availability of the readings to other apps is cumbersome to obtain.
If you don’t mind going through the instruction manual on how to operate the device, having batteries in stock when they run out, and providing your own carry case for it when you travel or store it, then the Withings Blood Pressure Monitor is a good buy. While some customer reviews noted that the price may be expensive for most budgets, consider it a long term investment for the product’s durability and efficiency.
Homedics Blood Pressure Monitor Review
The Homedics monitor prides itself with having been clinically proven to be accurate and quick when it comes to blood pressure readings. The inexpensive price of this device is also a plus factor in comparison with other similarly-purposed brands. Most customers who reviewed the product on third party websites were satisfied with the product. Read on to find out if this product is what you want to purchase.
- It has a large LCD with an easy-to-read display of jumbo-sized digits.
- Easy to operate using the one-touch button.
- Comes with a pair of arm cuffs which can be used simultaneously by two persons.
- The arm cuffs are available in large and standard sizes.
- The device comes with a case for travel or storage.
- Its Smart Measure technology has been clinically proven to give accurate and quick readings.
- Battery operated.
- With date, time stamp, and memory averaging functions for tracking blood pressure and consistent monitoring of any blood pressure changes.
- Readings are compared by a Risk Category Index to levels established by the U.S. National Institutes of Health.
- Measures not only blood pressure but pulse rate as well.
- Traffic light system provides instantaneous feedback against recommendations by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Measurement is fully automatic.
- Cuffs fit arm circumference of 22 to 32 centimeters.
- Capable of detecting arrhythmia.
- Compatible use with a mains adapter.
- This monitor’s advanced technology is compliant with the standard set by the AAMI (Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation).
Pros and Cons
- Easy to use.
- Readings have been clinically proven to be accurate.
- Measurement results are reliable.
- Most customers found the product affordable.
- Comes with a case for travel and storage.
- Risk Category Index alerts the user whenever a reading falls into pre-hypertensive and stage 1 or 2 hypertensive risk categories.
- The memory averaging functions are helpful in providing the doctor with precise data of the most recent readings.
- Some customers have reported the absence of instructions in the instruction manual on how the monitor can be connected to a computer for downloading stored data.
- Readings may be inaccurate if the cuff is positioned too tightly.
- Some customers found the product expensive.
What Customers Say About It
Despite the “cons,” this product was given an overall rating of 4.8 stars out of five by Amazon customer reviews. This only means that more customers were satisfied than disappointed by the product. Although the Homedics monitor is relatively one of the most affordable devices in its class, some people still found it expensive for their budgets. Still, this product’s performance accuracy deserves consideration for purchase.
If you are the kind of shopper who bases a purchase decision on customer reviews, go ahead and buy the product. A 4.8 star rating will not be given easily by Amazon’s customers if the product does not deserve it. As to the reported “con” of inaccurate readings experienced by some, the explanation given by most customers was that the cuff was not positioned correctly, meaning it was not a manufacturer’s defect.
Digital Blood Pressure Monitor Reviews
There are basically two home blood pressure monitors types, the manual and the digital:
Manual devices use an inflatable arm cuff and a stethoscope that are connected to a gauge by a rubber tube to record blood pressure levels. To measure these, the cuff which goes around the arm is inflated by pumping a small bulb at one of the tube’s ends. The blood pressure is then checked with the stethoscope by listening to the blood flow through the upper arm’s main artery as the pressure in the cuff decreases.
Digital devices have a gauge and a cuff to record blood pressure levels with the cuff automatically inflating when the starter button is pressed. A digital monitor will calculate the heart and check blood pressure automatically when it measures changes in the artery’s motion as blood flows through said artery as the cuff deflates. Some digital monitors send error messages if the cuff is not positioned or worn correctly.
There have been studies lately regarding the accuracies of home blood pressure monitors. Readings from some of these home monitors were found to be off by over 10 mm Hg, a difference that can prove to be highly significant in a reading, in around 8% of known cases. It is yet unknown whether or not these inaccuracies will mislead people into seeking medical care when they don’t really need it or vice versa.
Using a manual device requires more training than using the digital version. Unlike the manual version, you don’t have to buy cuffs or a stethoscope to be able to use a digital blood pressure monitor or go to the doctor to check both instruments for accuracy. More and more people are switching to digital home blood pressure monitors because of the convenience it offers. You just have to choose which monitor to purchase.
Omron Blood Pressure Monitor Review
The Omron series of home blood pressure monitoring devices is the most established of similarly-purposed brands in its class.
Based on numerous customer reviews, Omron is one of the first, if not the first, name that doctors will recommended to their patients who are planning to purchase their home blood pressure monitors. No bells and whistles for any Omron monitor but its reliability and accuracy are unparalleled.
A wide range of monitors – all 21 of them – covers usage on the upper arm and a smaller selection is available for wrist mounting. Omron’s popular 10 Series retails for less than $80.
Additionally, Omron offers not only integration with iOs platforms of Apple such as the iPod, iPad, and iPhone but Android support as well. Omron’s BP786, for instance, can be used independently of any other computerized gadget.
- Intellisense, one of the company’s patented technologies, provides you with a convenient, accurate, and quick monitoring of your blood pressure in the privacy and comfort of your own home.
- Every Omron home monitoring device has been evaluated, factory tested, and confirmed compliant to rigid standards of accuracy and safety by independent global organizations.
- Whether you choose an Omron upper arm or wrist device, you can be assured of quality of materials, durability of construction, and precision performance with each reading and measurement.
- It has a simple interface that is easy to understand. All you need to do is to attach the cuff to you upper arm and press the big blue button and the device will start working.
- The device will display statistics on your pulse condition as well as your blood pressure level. Moreover, it will inform you whether what you have is an irregular heartbeat.
- It can be used by two users by shifting between two sets of different readings with just one switch and allowing you to compare readings with another person. Additionally, its memory function stores up to a hundred readings.
Pros and Cons
- The information you get from the device is accurate.
- It is economical because two people can use the device.
- It informs you whether your blood pressure is low, normal or high.
- The device informs you of any irregular heartbeat that you may have so you can notify your doctor at once.
- It is able to detect what is known as “morning hypertension” which is often a sign of an underlying health condition.
- Information regarding readings for the users is separately stored.
- The device can be connected to your PC or laptop through a USB cord for you to get updates.
- Some customers reported experiencing inaccuracies but these may be the result of how the cuff has been fitted; you get an accurate reading if the cuff is worn correctly and comfortably.
- If you use the device with someone each time, you have to ensure that its switch is saved in your file; some customers have been confused by this but all it really takes is coordination between you and the other person using it.
What Customers Say About It
It seems that it doesn’t matter which Omron model a customer uses, reviews will still give it a considerably high rating.
The M2 Basic Blood Pressure Monitor, for instance, was given an overall Amazon rating of 4.6 stars out of five with 1,422 out of 1,960 customers giving the product five stars. Other Omron models also merited favorable reviews from satisfied customers.
Both the M10-IT Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with Dual-User Facility and Dual-Size Cuff and the Intellisense M7 Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with Multi Cuff models were also given an overall Amazon rating as that of the M2 Basic Blood Pressure Monitor.
The RS2 Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor model was given an overall Amazon rating of 4.5 stars out of five with 73 out of 111 customers giving the product five stars.
The majority of home blood pressure monitor reviews on third party websites have singled out the Omron line of products as the preferred choice of customers. Not to mention the recommendations that Omron gets from doctors. Inexpensive, durable, efficient, and with a plethora of models to choose from, no customer in his/her right mind would want to pass off on an excellent product like Omron.